Thursday, September 28, 2006

Framed memories...


Day after day, it reappears...
Night after night, my heartbeat shows the fear...
Ghosts appear and fade away - to come back another day...


I got that song by Colin Hay today -- "Overkill"
Apparently, Munch had asked me to download it weeks ago -- but, I was just being forgetfully lazy... Or, lazily forgetful...
It's sad what people around me have to put up with...

Well, the song has a very nostalgic-sense attached to it somehow. And, I made the mistake of stumbling upon an old photograph as I heard it...

I remember how during our last few days at school, all my friends got a camera to click pictures... Frame memories, I guess.

I was, at the time, going through the whole "Gautama Buddha said look only four-steps ahead" phase... The 'four-steps' philosophy was meant to make his monks focus only on the present, and perhaps the 'immediate' future... GB, much like me, wasn't a big fan of those 5-year plans, I guess. That's why he couldn't pick a career...
I mean, I am sure some of his haters must have thrown that at him as well -- "why don't you get a real job!"

And the answer to that would have to be -- "I am Buddha, I don't need a job..."

Well, so my friends would click the pictures of the whole group. For a change, you stand not only with the guys you loved, but some you'd normally insult otherwise...
Pose silly... Try and make it look natural though...

Digital cameras weren't too big back then either. So, another issue with clicking pictures was that you'd have to make prints, put them in an album, and then stock them in some cupboard (to gather dust)...

And, I've always been a 'space-freak' I guess. Not in the star-trek sense of the term -- just in the "can we get rid of that chair, none of us ever sit on it anyway" sense...

So, I obviously clicked no pictures...
I would question the sense behind a camera. I'd say "when I am on a vacation to some exotic island, if I m too busy clicking photos, I've pretty much missed the whole vacation. I've been so busy trying to capture a memory of the moment - that I missed the moment..."

Plus, carrying a camera to a new place, you're always checking if it's still in your bag -- secured...

Like Tyler said -- "Things you own, end up owning you..."

And, the irony of life -- I m almost a semi-aspiring photographer now.

I guess, things were a lot easier for GB in that sense... Cameras didn't exist back then -- so he didn't have to bother plucking petals, saying "I should take a picture. I shouldn't take a picture. I should take a picture. I shouldn't take a picture..."

A good memory-photo with friends though, just blends well with that line from the song -- "Ghosts appear and fade away - to come back another day..."

Ending with Kahlil Gibran.

"Let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit."
-- Kahil Gibran

I just remembered, I actually had a dream about me accidentally dropping my camera in the swimming pool. And then attempting mouth-to-mouth resuscitation in order to get all the water out from my camera!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd ever miss akshay and tanesh so much, since they were never really my friends. But just that picture is making me nostalgic, while I listen to the recommended special of the morning 'overkill'.
Missing the great people who came into my life. This is just to say that all you guys, my dear friends (You know who you all are) are in my thoughts.
And out come the photo albums:)