Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Too Tao to Travel...

The past few days have been interesting. About 2 years ago I got a new pekingese. My previous pekingese, who passed away back in 2006 or so had become a real Taoist as he grew older (and wiser). And so, when I got the new guy I named him Tao. No one took an objection, which is one of the beautiful things about Taoism. You can burn copies of the Tao Te Ching, name your dog Lao Tzu, or indirectly use it's ying-yang as a symbol for hippie-loving pot-smoking societies -- but you don't see anyone stand up and fight about it. No one seems to come up and say "Hey! You can't say that about my religion/belief".

I suppose, a true Taoist believes that just because you believe in the principles narrated by Lao Tzu (as opposed to those that were 'dictated' by other religious leaders, it would seem) you don't necessarily own any right on the actual principles. How does one go about owning the concept of the all-encompassing "Tao"? Of course the literal translation of the word Tao in other religions would be God, Allah, etc. But these words have such an ownership quality to them it feels. People 'own' that belief -- they don't just believe in it.

But, anyway... I am quite happy that I named my dog after Taoism. What I am surprised about is how aggressive he has been over the last few months when I have met him. Since I moved into my new place, Tao is living with my mom and seems to have developed a bond with my 2 year old niece. Initially when he started attacking me on random occasions  we all assumed it's because he has become too protective of my niece and just doesn't trust me or anyone around her. But over the last couple of weeks, as my wife has moved to Mumbai to sort out some work, I have been living with Tao again. It took some time, but just seeing me around everyday calmed him down a lot more. Moreover, being around him more often, I have learnt the best ways to approach him. Of course, I never took offence to his aggression either. With Taoism being a journey I suppose the stubborn nature of my dog is a phase that too shall be a step in his journey.

Today I leave for Mumbai to go hang out with my wife for a few days until we come back home. As I was packing up from mom's house I kind of felt bad about leaving Tao. I know I am in the same city when I will be back and usually visit him at least once a week. But sometimes I wonder if he has just been a bit upset with me for not being around too much. Not being around to scratch him and pet him and give him a treat every now and then.

But, that is what it is... Rather than fitting life to a plan it is all about seeing how life turns out in spite of all the planning. Rather than wondering what would be at the destination, it's all about enjoying the journey, I suppose. Which is exactly what I am looking forward to at this stage. My MP3 player with a new playlist titled "Too Tao to Travel" (I have no idea what I mean by that) and just the taxi from home to the airport and the lonely flight to Mumbai...

"I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion... beat that Moses"
- Lao Tzu (okay, I added the Moses bit to end with a smile)

1 comment:

Asha Wadhwani said...

Live with Tao again :) I just loved that sentence so much. Hoping that Tao (both the religion and our beloved) see more of you...