Friday, May 03, 2013

Changes Around my Back Right Pocket...

Back in 1999, on my 16th birthday, I was gifted a Levi's wallet by this girl I was sort of dating back then. Those early relationships were quite intense and pointlessly complicated, but that wallet was really nice. Survive a failed relationship, win a sexy wallet -- that always works for me.

It was a canvas wallet (which is always my preference over leather) and it was a smaller card-sized wallet. Needless to say, I kept the wallet until last week. That makes 1999 - 2013; a good 13 years and few months until I finally changed my wallet. I did it because my wife has been telling me, for the last 4 years of our relationship, to change my old wallet. But it's strange how one can become so attached to an item that has stuck around in life, traveled through so many cities, stashed out cash on so many occasions of joy and sorrow. Been through so much with me and all of it mostly just being stuck around my right butt cheek... and it never even complained if I put on weight, or thanked me when I lost a few kilos.

It was the perfect size, it had become accustomed to the number of cards, coins and bank notes I would carry. I was never too rich or never too poor for my wallet. And then the other day I went to get myself some new socks from the caterpillar store under my house and as I was paying for the socks I saw a new grey-black leather wallet. It was the exact same size as my original Levi's, the only unfortunate thing was that it was a leather wallet. But I stood there thinking about the two failed attempts my wife has tried to get me to replace my old wallet with a new one. And I kept telling her, "I'll get one if I find one perfect enough, otherwise what I have is working just fine..." The first wallet she got me now has been successfully re-gifted to my father-in-law. The second wallet she got me has also been successfully exchanged for a designer bag... for her...

Anyway... So I bought the new wallet that day. The sad part of it is when you pull out your old wallet to take out the cash that will pay for your new wallet... You know your old wallet is aware of what is happening. But like a humble Taoist companion, it just smiles, does it's bit and goes back to your back pocket for now. You know, it must be saying "It is not my place to tell you what you need to do. You have the right to choose what is right for you." And, I guess, I can appreciate that at least some things in life let you do what you feel like doing. Even if the moment felt like selling an organ of an ex-girlfriend to pay for the new shoes your current girlfriend wants, I went ahead and participated just to move on to a new chapter of my life. *my new wallet*

When I recall the moment now, I have that sad Charlie Brown song playing in my head from Snoopy Come Home. This one, where Snoopy leaves CB for some hospitalised ex-owner.

13 years... That's almost like the whole life of most dogs.

But, as Rafiki says, "Change is good". Even a change of wallet can make you realise how the slightest of change in life can feel so significant at times. My new wallet is still stretching itself out a little. I still have to be selective of how many business cards I accept at one go, or how much change I can really carry. My right butt cheek is still getting used to the level of off-balance I have with the new wallet. But, I suppose, "change is good"...

Gautama Buddha: And letting go is the key to happiness, my son
Me: Shut up, GB. I get it! 

This post-- in the loving memory of my loyal Levi's wallet, who shall forever be stored away safely... until I become famous and my children get a chance to auction off my beloved wallet to a loving collector from New Zealand... 

No comments: